ritastradling

anti-book-snob

For some reason I find fantasy books much more believable than mainstream fiction. I mostly read fantasy and all sub-genres but if overwhelmed with curiosity I'll occasionally read a 'norm' book.

I am an author also but I am mostly on this site to connect as a reader.

Alienated

Alienated - Melissa Landers 3.5 stars

Warning: a lot of Britney Spears gifs on this review (don't hate)

So aliens and humans made contact, and are sorta, kinda, a little bit trying to make a alliance. Cara Sweeney is picked to be the human to host one of the first alien exchange students, Aelyx. Even though her friends are declaring they'll hate her for it, Cara basically decides to host an alien in her home because of the blog potential...

--seriously?

But when I thought about it this is soo believable about humans today that it's scary. I mean who needs friends when you have followers, right? But I still like Cara, she's a little know-it-all-ish and a bit preachy, but she's supposed to be smart and actually seems smart which a lot of times doesn't happen in novels.

Aelyx is like this emotionally sterile, cold complete know it all.

Not my favorite kind of love interest, personally. He just seems so bland, which I guess is the point but... doesn't really interest me.

But thankfully the scenes where Cara and Aelyx are together usually end up hilarious. Like, laugh out loud, embarrass yourself in public hilarious. I was not too into the premise until the scene where Aelyx and Cara meet which was fantastic.

description

This book basically alternated between great embarrassingly hilarious moments...

and boring stretches.

description

But more than anything the romance was great. It deserves a round of applause.

Thank you Britney.

So, obviously this book was very mixed for me. I mean yes, I like the idea but think it's a little -- hard to believe that aliens would be just like gorgeous, ultra-modern, psychic, communists. Aelyx just seems like any other superior-feeling exchange student (jerk) to me, which I guess is the point but isn't all that much of a risk if you know what I mean. That said, I do think that Cara and her friends had realistic personalities and reactions to events. Aelyx, not as much, his only redeeming quality seemed like that he started being passionate around and for Cara... but I enjoyed his interactions with Cara so that's something. Probably not going to continue with this series though, in the next book Aelyx and Cara are going to be separated (for most of it...supposedly) and that just doesn't really appeal to me.