ritastradling

anti-book-snob

For some reason I find fantasy books much more believable than mainstream fiction. I mostly read fantasy and all sub-genres but if overwhelmed with curiosity I'll occasionally read a 'norm' book.

I am an author also but I am mostly on this site to connect as a reader.

Strange Angels

Strange Angels - Lili St. Crow, Lilith Saintcrow So Goodreads suggested this book to me, like, a bazillion times; each time I read the blurb, looked at the cover and thought: "been there. Read a million like it. Got the T-shirt. Doesn't fit me anymore."

I was wrong.

This book is incredibly original. The main character is --more than strong...she's believably strong. Very human, real, relatable...I didn't always agree with her, I didn't even always like her, but I always believed her.
When pulled off, I prefer a slow pace ([a:Kelley Armstrong|7581|Kelley Armstrong|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1199068298p2/7581.jpg], [a:Juliet Marillier|8649|Juliet Marillier|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1373081365p2/8649.jpg] are two of my favorite slow-paced authors); this book --almost always-- pulled off a slow pace.

There were some things about the book that bugged me, one of which was the frequency with which Dru described Grave's face, I just wanted her to move on! And also the world building could have been flushed out a bit more--I'm hoping that the next books will provide that. Also, the "love interests" lacked any real chemistry...

Otherwise, surprisingly good. I have high hopes for the series! On to the next.