ritastradling

anti-book-snob

For some reason I find fantasy books much more believable than mainstream fiction. I mostly read fantasy and all sub-genres but if overwhelmed with curiosity I'll occasionally read a 'norm' book.

I am an author also but I am mostly on this site to connect as a reader.

Falling Kingdoms

Falling Kingdoms - Morgan Rhodes, Michelle Rowen POV: Third person from the three main characters perspectives: Cloe, Jonas, Magnus and a little bit from the perspective of Lucia. A couple other perspectives are visited for short sections.

Review: Okay, So, I've had a little bitty hole in my heart since Cinda Williams Chima was cruel enough to complete her Seven Realms series, ever present, causing me pain. Nothing really filled it. Until now.
I was a little worried about reading this series, I don’t want to sound like a d-bag but a 3.8 rating usually makes me go…hmmmm…especially since some (not all) of the reviews of reviewers I follow weren’t optimistic. But my goodness, I am so glad I bought it!!! It is probably one of two of my favorite YA reads of 2013… Seriously, more than just the cover is fantastic, it’s an amazing fantasy story told from three sides of a war, all people you can relate with, though they’re really different and mostly in opposition to each other.
The story is basically that the princess of a rich oppressive country is present for and witnesses a murder in another, poorer country, that becomes the “call to arms” for two poorer countries in a dying land. Each of the main characters are someone pivotal to their country and play an essential role in this conflict.
What I really loved about this book were the characters, though the book was steeped in magic and intrigue, the personalities of the characters really drove the plot. I love Cloe and Jonas, both believably products of their upbringing and yet strong and independent characters. I loved the scenes they were together for (I wish there were more of them). Magnus was a bit despicable to me, but also complex and relatable in many ways.
The world building, while not extremely complex, was enough to keep me enthralled.
Also, the romances I found a bit lacking in luster—not so much the focus as much as a plot device—but that didn’t really bother me as all the other parts of this book we’re so fantastic (there was some serious tension going on between Cleo and Jonas that I really hope is explored in book two).
Basically, as someone who LOVES YA fantasy, I’m sold on this series, can’t wait for book two out December 3rd!!!