ritastradling

anti-book-snob

For some reason I find fantasy books much more believable than mainstream fiction. I mostly read fantasy and all sub-genres but if overwhelmed with curiosity I'll occasionally read a 'norm' book.

I am an author also but I am mostly on this site to connect as a reader.

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown - Holly Black 4.5 stars

Ms Black says this book is a love letter to all her old fave vampire stories and learning that I completely had a "aha! That's why!" moment because the whole time I was thinking : this book is halfway point between Angelfall and Interview with a Vampire!!!!! But in a good way.

I loved this book but I could see why it got such mixed reviews, this book isn't for everyone. The heroine is incredibly smart resourceful and rational, but she makes some of the stupidest decisions! At times I was just shaking my head thinking: "stupid, stupid, stupid." But the brilliant thing about this book was that the characters were so well constructed that even the stupidest decisions seemed rational and believable.

All the characters were well constructed but only few were at all likeable. But it worked.

Along with many of its contemporaries, I wouldn't let a younger teen read this book. It's scary, dark and gory.

That said, I think this book would really appeal to fans of The Immortal Rules and Angelfall--very similar in tone and feel. Great book!!!