ritastradling

anti-book-snob

For some reason I find fantasy books much more believable than mainstream fiction. I mostly read fantasy and all sub-genres but if overwhelmed with curiosity I'll occasionally read a 'norm' book.

I am an author also but I am mostly on this site to connect as a reader.

The Girl of Fire and Thorns

The Girl of Fire and Thorns - Rae Carson Hrrr... I really enjoyed aspects of this book. First, I have deep respect for the world building, I have an interest in medieval Christianity and though this book is high fantasy (and "God" is not necessarily the early Christian concept of "God" or even necessarily any earthy concept of God), there's a close similarity in the physicality (blood and body) of the divine power of the 'soldiers of God'. I hate the pansy way some other people (authors) are dealing with religious lore... Seriously? Read the bible. Or, study the crusades... Yeah, not your local Christian rock band. Anyho I think this book does a good job of reflecting the morbid nature of a religious war fought by opposing fatalistic zealots, defended by the blood and flesh of a holy vassal (...type person).
I also respect this author's fearless taboo breaking: the character is over weight and has an over-eating disorder. Ok, I respect it, but I didn't really enjoy it. Nor how obsessively image conscious and self deprecating she is. I wouldn't change it... The author did a great job... But, I was just over it way before it ended.
Also, the character's dialogue clashes with the medieval culture and setting strongly. It's disconcerting.
s