ritastradling

anti-book-snob

For some reason I find fantasy books much more believable than mainstream fiction. I mostly read fantasy and all sub-genres but if overwhelmed with curiosity I'll occasionally read a 'norm' book.

I am an author also but I am mostly on this site to connect as a reader.

Magic Rises

Magic Rises - Ilona Andrews POV: First person from Kate’s point of view. Kate is saucy hard-coated and prickly (and really funny), but has a kind loving heart-she’s one of my all-time favorite characters.

I always get really nervous before reading a Kate Daniel’s book; of the (approx.) 150 Urban Fantasy books I’ve read in the past three years, the six in this series have outranked the rest by a magical-landslide, that’s a lot to live up to. But, as always, the husband-wife author team that goes by the pseudonym ‘Ilona Andrews’ outdoes themselves with Magic Rises.

This book, while still having a mythological mystery and our favorite cast of characters, for the first time takes the adventure out of their usual haunts in post-magical-apocalypse Atlanta and across the sea to the Black Sea; a risky move for any series, but they do it so well. The romance between Kate and Curran is fresh and steamy in this book; I often get a little “can you show me something new?!” by book six, but wowza—I seriously had tears in my eyes at one part, screaming (inside) “Curran, NO!”

The one thing that (didn’t really bother me, but) might bother some, is that the mystery was not as complicated as they usually create, it was relatively straight-forward—but I think perhaps they deliberately sacrificed this so they could focus more on Kate’s past and Kate and Curran’s relationship.