ritastradling

anti-book-snob

For some reason I find fantasy books much more believable than mainstream fiction. I mostly read fantasy and all sub-genres but if overwhelmed with curiosity I'll occasionally read a 'norm' book.

I am an author also but I am mostly on this site to connect as a reader.

Flute of the Wind Queen

Flute of the Wind Queen - Eisah A boy seeking adventure and notoriety travels into enemy territory seeking a famous artifact. While dodging detection and trying to find his way home, he learns that there are more to his "enemies" than he previously assumed.

This book had fantastic moments. I especially liked some of the dialogue between Deckard and Leander. Witty moments, fun overall feel. I loved the twist at the end.

I just wanted... More. More characterization, more world building, a more three-dimensional experience (and more pictures!). I think this author has a lot of potential. There were some real gems in here...

Favorite line: "So the question is, does that make you brave or stupid?"
I smirked at him. "It makes me stupid if I get caught and brave if I make it back home."

I just did not emotionally connect with any of the characters.
There was also a lot of "telling" versus "showing" (this is something I struggle with when writing too), which made the world building a little less believable to me.

But all that mentioned, I really don't want to belittle the work of a very talented writer. I just, personally, as a reader, would appreciate more character building dialogue (the dialogue was for the most part fantastic) and less "telling" (this is this and that is that).

In short: a fun book with great little writing gems throughout that I wanted a little more from.

Thank you to the author for giving me a copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.